Last Contact With Tempo Journalist Before Israel Intercepted GSF

2 hours ago 2

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Tempo journalist Andre Prasetyo Nugroho was reported missing in contact near waters off Gaza after the humanitarian logistics vessel he was aboard, Ozgurluk, was intercepted by the Israeli military on Monday, May 18, 2026.

The Ozgurluk vessel was part of the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) 2026 convoy, which sailed to deliver humanitarian aid in an effort to break the blockade on Gaza.

Tempo TV producer Dheayu Jihan said the last communication with Andre took place on Sunday night at around 10:42 PM Jakarta time. During the exchange, Andre reported that the vessel had begun entering what he described as a “red zone.”

“Last night was the last contact. He sent the coordinates of his position, but I could not calculate how far he was from the coast of Gaza,” Jihan told Tempo on Monday, May 18, 2026.

Andre’s phone number was still detected as active until around 02:00 PM Jakarta time on Monday. Tempo’s editorial team in Jakarta attempted to contact him by text message to monitor his condition.

The messages initially showed as delivered, but there was no reply. By 02:30 PM, Andre’s phone could no longer be reached.

According to Jihan, there had been no further information about Andre’s whereabouts until the editorial team received a report from the Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI) at 09:15 PM.

“GPCI reported that the ship carrying Andre was intercepted by the Israeli military along with 24 other vessels in the convoy when they were about 250 nautical miles from Gaza,” she said.

Jihan explained that Andre began his journey to cover the humanitarian mission to Gaza on April 29, 2026. He first flew from Jakarta to Istanbul before continuing by land for around 12 hours to the Port of Marmaris in southwestern Türkiye.

At the port, the vessel’s departure was repeatedly delayed due to security concerns and strict screening procedures for volunteers.

Andre initially faced the possibility of being unable to join the mission because his name was not included on the list of approved volunteers allowed to sail. However, after lengthy negotiations, he eventually secured a place aboard the Ozgurluk vessel.

On board, Andre traveled alongside two other Indonesian journalists — Thoudy Badai Rifan Billah from Republika and Rahendro Herubowo from iNews. The vessel reportedly departed on Thursday, May 12, local time.

Entering the sixth day of the voyage, Jihan said conditions aboard the ship became increasingly tense as the convoy approached Gaza waters.

On Saturday, May 16 — two days before the interception — Andre informed the Tempo newsroom in Jakarta that the vessel had entered an emergency interception protocol in anticipation of a possible attack.

Meanwhile, Maimon Herawati, coordinator of the board of directors of the Global Peace Convoy Indonesia, said the humanitarian mission involved around 450 volunteers.

Nine of them were Indonesians representing humanitarian organizations including Dompet Dhuafa, Rumah Zakat, Spirit of Aqsa, SMART 171, as well as journalists from Republika, iNews, and Tempo.

Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry strongly condemned the Israeli military’s interception of the international humanitarian mission convoy Global Sumud Flotilla.

The ministry also called on Israel to immediately release all vessels and crew members detained during the operation.

“We will continue communicating with various related parties to obtain the latest information regarding the condition of Indonesian citizens, while also preparing contingency measures, including facilitating protection and accelerating repatriation if necessary,” Foreign Ministry spokesperson Yvonne Mewengkang told Tempo on Monday night.

Read: TV Tempo Journalist Sends SOS After Israeli Interception

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News


TV Tempo Journalist Sends SOS After Israeli Interception

7 jam lalu

TV Tempo Journalist Sends SOS After Israeli Interception

TV Tempo journalist Andre Prasetyo Nugroho sent an SOS video after the Israeli army kidnapped the Global Sumud Flotilla 2.0 convoy.


Israel Intercepts Aid Flotilla Carrying 9 Indonesians

14 jam lalu

Israel Intercepts Aid Flotilla Carrying 9 Indonesians

The Global Peace Convoy Indonesia (GPCI) detailed reports that the Israeli navy has intercepted the Global Sumud Flotilla 2.0 aid mission.


Tempo to Expand Into AI-Based Information Business

6 hari lalu

Tempo to Expand Into AI-Based Information Business

Users will simply input a prompt or question, and the system will present information from Tempo's news database since 1971.


Tempo's Reader Revenue Strategy Clinches Gold at Digital Media Awards 2026

20 hari lalu

Tempo's Reader Revenue Strategy Clinches Gold at Digital Media Awards 2026

Tempo records 11 million monthly accesses on the Tempo.co website.


NasDem Slams Tempo, Says Surya Paloh Is 'Always Happy'

33 hari lalu

NasDem Slams Tempo, Says Surya Paloh Is 'Always Happy'

NasDem North Sumatra Chairperson Iskandar ST denies Tempo's report that the party is for sale.


Hundreds of NasDem Party Members Stage Protest at Tempo Office

34 hari lalu

Hundreds of NasDem Party Members Stage Protest at Tempo Office

Editor-in-Chief of Tempo, Setri Yasa, said Tempo appreciated the opinions expressed by NasDem Party members at the protest.


Tempo Receives JournalismAI Innovation Challenge 2025 Grant

15 Februari 2026

Tempo Receives JournalismAI Innovation Challenge 2025 Grant

Tempo has successfully secured a grant from the JournalismAI Innovation Challenge 2025 program, supported by the Google News Initiative.


Tempo's Strategy to Combat Digital Polarization

11 Februari 2026

Tempo's Strategy to Combat Digital Polarization

Tempo outlined a new paradigm: transforming the role of media from mere broadcasters to facilitators of social dialogue.


Fact Check: Video Claiming Aid Distribution Through Gacor25 Gambling Site Is AI-Edited

7 Februari 2026

Fact Check: Video Claiming Aid Distribution Through Gacor25 Gambling Site Is AI-Edited

Fact check - The video has been altered using artificial intelligence (AI)


Pangku Named Tempo's Film of Choice for 2025

27 Januari 2026

Pangku Named Tempo's Film of Choice for 2025

The film 'Pangku' (On Your Lap), Reza Rahadian's directorial debut, was selected as Tempo's 2025 Film of Choice.


Read Entire Article
International | Entertainment | Lingkungan | Teknologi | Otomotif | Lingkungan | Kuliner |