Putin Agrees to 30-Day Pause in Attacks on Ukrainian Energy Facilities

2 weeks ago 12

March 19, 2025 | 03:42 pm

Russia's President Vladimir Putin gestures during a bilateral meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump at the G20 leaders summit in Osaka, Japan, June 28, 2019. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Russian President Vladimir Putin has agreed to halt attacks on Ukrainian energy facilities for 30 days. However, Putin has rejected a full ceasefire. Ukraine also has supported Putin's agreement.

According to the White House, a ceasefire in the Black Sea and a more comprehensive ceasefire agreement and permanent peace agreement will soon be reached. On Tuesday, March 18, 2025, U.S. President Donald Trump and Putin had a phone call.

It is unclear whether Ukraine will be involved in these discussions. According to Trump's envoy, Steve Witkoff, the talks will take place in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on Sunday.

"Up until recently, we really didn't have consensus around these two aspects - the energy and infrastructure ceasefire and the Black Sea moratorium on firing - and today we got to that place, and I think it's a relatively short distance to a full ceasefire from there," said Witkoff on the ''Hannity'' program on Fox News.

The Kremlin stated that Putin has ordered the Russian military to halt attacks on energy infrastructure after speaking with Trump. However, Putin is concerned that a temporary ceasefire may allow Ukraine to rearm and mobilize more troops. Ukraine is also feared to escalate its demands. Any resolution requires an end to all military and intelligence assistance to Ukraine, according to the Kremlin.

Trump told Fox News that assistance to Ukraine was not discussed in that conversation.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said he would support the proposal to halt attacks on energy facilities and infrastructure for 30 days. He said Russia launched over 40 unmanned aerial vehicles on Tuesday night, hitting a hospital in Sumy and other areas, including the outskirts of Kyiv surrounding the Ukrainian capital.

"Today, Putin de facto rejected the proposal for a complete ceasefire. It would be right for the world to reject in response any attempts by Putin to drag out the war," Zelensky said in a post on the Telegram messaging app cited from Reuters.

Trump welcomed the conversation with Putin. "We had a great call. It lasted almost two hours," Trump said on "The Ingraham Angle" on Fox News.

However, Trump failed to achieve a permanent ceasefire agreement between Russia and Ukraine. Ukraine, which Trump had previously described as more difficult to work with than Russia, has agreed to the U.S. proposal for a full ceasefire for 30 days. However, Putin did not agree.

Editor's Choice: UK Claims 30 Countries Willing to Send Peacekeeping Forces to Ukraine

Click here to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News



Trump Administration Reinstating 24,500 Fired Workers After Court Order

18 jam lalu

Trump Administration Reinstating 24,500 Fired Workers After Court Order

The mass firings is part of President Donald Trump's broader purge of the federal workforce.


Israel Consulted US on Its Strikes in Gaza, White House Told Fox News

1 hari lalu

Israel Consulted US on Its Strikes in Gaza, White House Told Fox News

Israel consulted with the President of the United States, Donald Trump, before launching their latest attack on Gaza.


UK Claims 30 Countries Willing to Send Peacekeeping Forces to Ukraine

1 hari lalu

UK Claims 30 Countries Willing to Send Peacekeeping Forces to Ukraine

The UK claims that there are 30 countries willing to send peacekeeping forces to Ukraine if a peaceful agreement with Russia is reached.


French MEP Wants U.S. to Return Statue of Liberty, Slams Trump's Leadership

1 hari lalu

French MEP Wants U.S. to Return Statue of Liberty, Slams Trump's Leadership

French Parliament member demands U.S. to return the Statue of Liberty, stating that the country has betrayed the values of freedom it symbolizes.


Rubio Says U.S. 'Doing the World a Favor' with Houthi Airstrikes

1 hari lalu

Rubio Says U.S. 'Doing the World a Favor' with Houthi Airstrikes

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated that the US is providing assistance to the entire world by carrying out air strikes against the Houthi.


Trump to Meet Putin Tomorrow; What's on the Agenda?

1 hari lalu

Trump to Meet Putin Tomorrow; What's on the Agenda?

U.S. President Donald Trump will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday to discuss the Russia-Ukraine war.


SpaceX Capsule Crew Docks with Space Station to Replace Astronauts 'Butch and Suni'

1 hari lalu

SpaceX Capsule Crew Docks with Space Station to Replace Astronauts 'Butch and Suni'

A SpaceX capsule delivered four astronauts to the International Space Station early on Sunday to rescue two stranded astronauts.


What Do OpenAI and Google Want from Trump to Compete with DeepSeek?

2 hari lalu

What Do OpenAI and Google Want from Trump to Compete with DeepSeek?

OpenAI and Google respond to the White House's request for input from various groups on President Donald Trump's 'AI Action Plan'.


Voice of America Staff Put on Leave, Trump Ally Says Agency 'Not Salvageable'

2 hari lalu

Voice of America Staff Put on Leave, Trump Ally Says Agency 'Not Salvageable'

The Donald Trump administration has begun to trim Voice of America staff. More than 1,300 VOA employees have been placed on mass leave.


Trump Defies Court Order, Deports 238 Venezuelan Gang Members

2 hari lalu

Trump Defies Court Order, Deports 238 Venezuelan Gang Members

The Trump administration deported 238 members of a Venezuelan gang citing their involvement in kidnapping, extortion, and murder.


Read Entire Article
International | Entertainment | Lingkungan | Teknologi | Otomotif | Lingkungan | Kuliner |